1st brazing pics
after brazing and soaking i cut up the joint with a hacksaw (32t Starrett RedStripe), then cut each half into thirds and cleaned up the edges with a stationary belt snader. this allowed for good inspection of the filler penetration. it's hard to see and especially to photograph. it appears as a thin line of gold between the silver steel. generally it's better than i had expected, although i overdid it in several places. the camera died before i could get a photo of an area with poor penetration. those areas were usually at the edges, where it seemed clearances might have been too large, or perhaps i just didn't use enough in that spot. generally i think i'm still using more heat than necessary, but heat control is real tricky.
previously i had tried with a #4 tip (we have either PurOx or OxWeld torches--working on translating that based on this). today i used a #6 with a more carburizing flame than before. the steel still kept getting too hot--bright orange, asopposed to the dull red i think i want. and i'm still unsure what part of the flame to use to heat.
also the miter wasn't especially good on this one. i re-used the length of 1" dia. tube that i had failed to join last time, and it didn't match especially well.
even despite that, don't go thinking these shards are fragile. even with a thin lug and all cut up like this, they're sturdy enough that i can't bend and part by hand or with leverage from a table.
i'm intentionally showing these with minimal clean-up, both because i can't recall seeing photos like this anywhere before and because it should help a more experience eye tell how well i'm doing.