photos of today's work
first up the fork jig. it's at least within a mm of square, about as best as i could manage with a drill press and miter saw. the axle block is part of a 2x4 that was in the scrap pile. it's just glued to the backboard now, i've drilled pilot holes into it from the back, next is to drive wood screws.
the bit must have walked or something because after measuring the axle's actual height and subtracting half the fork blade's height, it turns out i've only got about 64.5 mm rake, and actually it's maybe a half mm more on the right side. either i'll live with it or i'll try the Paterek fork cold un-twisting method: insert a long screwdriver between the blades and pry them in the necessary direction.
i made the opening for access to the the crown by drilling out the corners with a 1 1/2" spade bit in an electric drill, then connected the holes with a jigsaw. looks like i could have made it even smaller and still left plenty of room for drilling and pinning.
the next addition will likely be a section of angle iron at the left side, to which i'll clamp the steerer for pinning. i'll probably start on that tomorrow. our shop has a horizontal band saw for cutting metal, with a hydraulic mechanism to control how fast it cuts--sounds perfect for 1/8" thick angle iron.
now to the molten metal...wait, make that later...