fork building advice from the issimo

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:50:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [Frame] Details Re: Brazing crown to blades??
From: Richard M Sachs <richardsachs(AT)juno.com>


after each blade is finished brazed, try waving the torch
up and down on the outside of the fork for about 10 seconds.
that should help them walking back "outwards" during the
cool-down period.
e-RICHIE
cool
down





"John Clay" <jmedlockclay(AT)nettally.com> writes:
> I just finished brazing fork number 1. When complete I discovered
> that the spacing was 95mm, not 100 as it was on the jig. The error
> is symetrical. I think I know why but would be interested in knowing
> if the experts agree.
> 1.. preheated the crown's fork blade sockets pretty uniformly all
> around their perimeter, then
> 2.. preheated the inside of the blades, and the long fork crown
> tang, much more than the outside - didn't heat the whole fork blade
> all the way around to the distance that the tang extends
> 3.. the corrolary is that I started by flowing the tangs first and
> then worked around to the outside of the sockets
> I think that #2 blew it and that I should have heated each blade the
> same distance out from the crown, all around the perimeter and then
> flowed the joints, probably from the outside, not the tang side.
>
> Am I right or wrong?
> John Clay
> Tallahassee, FL

No comments: